Social Media is the use of electronic and Internet tools for the purpose of sharing and discussing information and experiences with other human beings.
Some examples of social media sites and applications include Facebook, YouTube, Del.icio.us, Twitter, Wechat, Digg, blogs and other sites that have content based on user participation and user-generated content (UGC).
According to Petersen (2016) social media have a huge impact in marketing. Some of the reasons why:
- social media drive human interaction and two-way communication;
- a huge amount of content is shared thanks to social media channels;
- it is possible to co-create content together;
- social media force companies to become more transparent;
- the power of traditional campaigns decline: customer experience takes center stage;
- social media change the way companies conduct their business.